Professional Violinist tries $ 67 Violin vs Her Violin
I review the $ 67 Glarry violin set and demonstrate how it sounds!
Is it any good and suitable for a beginner violinist to learn on? Find out in this video:
‘I will review your cheap violin set, but I have to warn you that I’ll give my audience my honest opinion’
That’s what I wrote to Glarry as I was a bit reluctant and sceptic when they asked me to review their violin outfit
I noticed immediately that the sound post was rolling around inside. This wasn’t an issue for me as I have a special tool and experience, but it may not be possible for everyone to place a sound post.
You also must be able to place the bridge on the violin on your own, because the bridge was tucked underneath the tailpiece.
Something else to keep in mind is that it is common with factory violins that you order online that the markings on the bridge for the strings were also not equally divided. So you have to be place them by yourself.
To be very honest: it’s not so bad at all! Listen to it in the video and judge! However due to the rough finishing and cheap strings, it’s very hard to play in tune and create a good sound.
The bow was very wobbly and although it makes sound, I would recommend upgrading to a simple carbon bow as quickly as possible.
Strings & Tuning
Tuning was a challenge since the strings are not completely even and are very basic. Considering the price point of this set it is understandable. In general, the tuning stability of the violin’s pegs was good.
The tuner provided with this set works very well and it’s great for those who are just starting out.
The rosin that was included was not suitable and I did need to utilise my own in order to get it playing. That’s always the case with cheap complete violin sets.
It’s not so bad at all!
It’s amazing how they can deliver this complete violin outfit for only $ 67. If you’re looking for a cheap violin as a beginner violinist and you REALLY don’t have more to spend, this is great value for money. However, don’t expect miracles and consider it’s downsides described here and mentioned in the video.
What do YOU think of this cheap violin?
Listen to the demonstration in the video and leave a comment below to let me know if you would buy this as your first violin or if you would spend a little more to get something nicer.
- DELIVERY – The Glarry violin set arrived very quickly
- COMPLETE SET – The set comes with everything you’d need to get started
- SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS – If you are only able to afford a violin in this price range then this is a good set to start with, but you’ll want to consider upgrading as soon as you can so you are able to play more easily and get the most enjoyment out of your violin playing.
- BRIDGE IS OK – This violin is good enough for practicing open strings, string crossings, and play some simple beginner tunes
- UPGRADE BOW AND ROSIN – If possible I recommend upgrading the bow and rosin very quickly
- CONSIDER A HIGHER PRICE POINT VIOLIN – Sets around $200 like this one are set up properly, have a better sound and will motivate you more.