1 Min, 10 Min, 1 Hour Challenge: PLAYING THE VIOLIN LEFT HANDED | Violin Lounge TV #422
Concert violinist Vivien Hoffman started playing the violin at the age of 4, but now she’s starting from scratch again as she turns around the violin to play left handed
This is an experiment to test and further develop a self learning method by her teacher Ruggiero Ricci
Violinist Vivien Hoffman now knows exactly how a complete beginner to the violin feels
By turning around and starting to play the violin left handed, she needs to relearn everything she’s learned since the age of 4.
The goal is to test the self correcting method by her teacher and famous violinist Ruggiero Ricci.
We see how Vivien plays normally and after that we follow her left handed violin journey after 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day and 3 days.
After the 3 days she encounters a very surprising difficulty she didn’t foresee, so make sure you watch the interview until the end!
Follow Vivien’s experiment on her YouTube channel.
Sign up for her lessons ‘Teaching Myself from Scratch’.
Did you enjoy this? Support my work by sharing it on Twitter:
Hi! I'm Zlata
Classical violinist helping you overcome technical struggles and play with feeling by improving your bow technique.
This interview answer the following questions about learning to play the violin left handed:
- For those new to the violin: ‘you know how to play, right? why is it a problem?’
- Ricci’s method of self learning and self correcting based on the violin technique by Paganini
- How different adult beginners learn vs young beginners
- How Vivien’s progress is compared to absolute beginners
- What’s most difficult to learn or relearn? Intonation or bowing?
- Why it’s suddenly so hard and strenuous to practice long
- How the fact that Vivien is right handed influences this left handed violin experiment
- What do you think of people wanting to play the violin left handed from the start? What do you advice?
- How is the instrument different? What needs to be adjusted to the violin to make it suitable for left handed playing?