How To Clean Your Violin or Viola
Take good care of your little musical friend!
In this video I will show you how to clean your violin or viola:
This is what you should do daily:
- Clean your strings with a dry cleaning cloth
- Clean your violin or viola with a dry cloth
This is mainly to remove the rosin when you can still remove it. Too much rosin (a thick layer) on your strings create a bad sound.
Rosin can be removed easily with a dry cloth, but only when you don’t wait too long and do it often.
Once in a while you might want to clean your violin a bit more thoroughly (about once in a year):
- Use special cleaning fluid for stringed instruments, like this one (click to see and buy)
- Just use a couple of drops, don’t use too much or clean too often
- Don’t use it on the bridge and the strings
This maintains the laquer and can polish away small damages.
Now I’d like to hear from you! What is your way to take good care of your musical friend? Do you have tips for other viewers? Share them in the comments below!